Sunday, July 29, 2012

Spring Update 2012

Hello again it's been a long time since I sat down to write about my adventures in Korea.  I bet you wonder what amazing and creative trouble I might have been into.

The best quick answer is that we have been busy...
I usually plan a couple of travel adventures for us every month so that we can get out of our 260 square feet apartment and enjoy this interesting country. 
Let's see the last time I wrote It was April and I was celebrating my 51st birthday. 

Since then we have found a really nice place to retreat to in Busan. It's not that expensive when it's not high tourist season and it's only a few steps away from the finest beach in Korea; Haeundae is very famous with tourists, and has great access to many different foods; Korean, Italian, Vietnamese, and other types, even a Quiznos sub shop. So we can relax and order with confidence here. One of the problems that we have faced is not really knowing what to order when we go out to eat. Variety here makes it easy.

While we were there in May we had some relaxing time on the beach, watched some huge amazing sand sculptures be built and we enjoyed seeing some of my young friends from the EPIK orientation last year. One night we ventured to a major temple in Busan for the Lantern display that was there for Buddha's birthday. It was amazing and of course many people were there for prayer and religious observance but some of us just went to observe the amazing display of lanterns.  We returned very tired and happy to Chungju after the long weekend, and I returned to work on Monday.

Finally it was summer, June was here and my American body was telling me that teachers and students should be heading home for a couple of months soon. My American body wasn't thinking that it was now teaching in Korea where the people take education to an extreme. Students here attend classes every day until July 25, when they have a short 6 week break -- well they don't go to public school everyday during that time and they may have a week or two vacation with family but the rest of the time, they study at the academies and in their homes. They study stacks of books that they were assigned for their break, and when they return this work is turned in for a grade. Let me tell you that Korean parents, especially successful ones take these grades very seriously and their children are very respectful of this. 

I am too. in America too many students think that education is their "right", and it's one that they have learned that they can misuse. In Korea and other parts of the world, Education is still a privilege and one that they respect. -Low bow to serious students and parents. -

So... we have the weekends, don't we, and we can still have fun until our mere 3 week vacation at the end of August. Deep sigh... Yes! In July we saw a play that I have been trying to get seats for in the US for years. We went to see "Wicked".  Was really excited about going to this play because I had read the enormous book about 3 times and just loved it!

It was good, but you know what they say... The movie can never really do as well as your own imagination. It's true in this case as well. We enjoyed it, but not as much as the book. Aaahhhhh

finally the kids went home for their break! I have 2 summer camps to teach after our short 5 day adventure to Busan (we're on our way there now). I plan to enjoy the days in Busan fashion; food, friends, and beach. That's if the weather holds out. So far so good. After all it's rainy season here and a typhoon could also just as easily decide to vacation in Busan. Lol

We're also trying to decide just where to go for our mere 3 weeks. We though about Russia (that was way too expensive), so we tried for Beijing and Xian. Ben never saw those amazing places, but God had other plans. China just experienced another flood with a very high damage and death count. Maybe they can recover better without us, we'll see. 

The best news that I have right now is that I am having such a good time in South Korea that I have signed another contract for each of my schools. We'll stay another year. Another year means more teaching, more travel and more time to learn about Korean people, their culture, and how all of the changes can positively affect my life. I'm looking forward to all of it and writing to you about it.

Just one more thing...  Had an amazing experience that really made me appreciate the efficiency of the Korean systems. Ben and I went to Jeonju this July. Jeonju is an interesting historical city in Joellenam-do province. We saw the Hannok village and paper making process. Korea has a special hand made paper called Hanji. It was fun to see that, eat good Korean food and take a break at the cinema that night and see Spiderman. BUT... 

Just as we were getting ready to return to Chungju, I did a really typically Connie thing.  I Left my purse in the taxi, got out and screamed "Hey my purse!" He drove away. In the midst of my panic, I ran into a coffee house to ask where the tourist information was. Broken English was extremely ineffective at this time. I grabbed a British girl and she ran with me to the info desk about 300 meters down the street. I left Ben at the bus terminal where he knew to just sit down and "hug a tree" until I returned.

Meanwhile the information desk called the taxi companies, and the police. OMG! I'm thinking more now; I have no money, no ID, no credit cards, my iPhone, Nook and reading glasses... It was all coming back to me. 

This was a nightmare! 

I ran back to the bus station and got Ben who was right  where I left him, gratefully. We walked back to the tourist info to meet the police. They welcomed us with the ride to the station to fill out a police report. I was so hungry and so scared; how was I going to get back to work on Monday and how was I going to get something to eat? All I can say is that sometimes my husband is rather sneaky. Thank goodness! He had a secret 50,000₩ (about $45) that took care of all of our needs. The officers assured us that in the biggest city in Jeollanam a purse could be found and returned intact! 

We went home and 2 days later we had a good friend call the officers. My purse was indeed found and all of the contents were safe. 

Believe me I had my doubts, and I took good care of my credit cards and my ID but the very fact that I had my most precious items returned with no loss was a credit to the city and the country. Again, low bow to the honest Korean people. May they live long and prosper!

That's the end of my very long rant about this adventure.  Guess I waited too long this time. please enjoy the pictures and my crazy tales and write to me sometime or let me know you're out there on Facebook.
Talk to you soon, Connie. 





No comments:

Post a Comment